Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Essay Number One: Why are we Here?

This is one of the most basic of human questions regarding God and our place in the universe.  Why are we here?  What is our purpose?  What are we supposed to do in this very short life-span that would enable us to have everlasting life with God?  Can we earn our way to heaven?  Can we be good enough? Can we ever hope to have true knowledge that we are saved?  What keeps us from accepting God's love? Does He have a plan for us?  For you?  Is everything that happens part of his divine plan?

Wow...I may have bitten off more than I can chew here, but I'll try to explain to the best of my limited ability what I've come to understand as basic truths for my Christian walk with God.  I decided to do this series of essays for my non-Christian friends who see all Christians the same and identify them as hypocrites, haters, bigots, etc.  I hope what I write here makes sense, and I pray that the Holy Spirit will guide my thoughts as I attempt to explain my beliefs.

So, first question, Why are we here?  I think we must begin in Genesis.  God created the world (universe) and loved it.  He said it was "Good!"  So many people today think the world is bad, evil, corrupt, that it is a horrible place.  Wrong.  Remember "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whomever believes in Him shall not perish but have ever-lasting life."  The World, the people in it, the universe, it's all Good in God's eyes.

So God created everything and it was all Good.  The story continues as God creates light, day and night, the earth and the seas, the plants and animals and humanity which the Bibles states was created, "in our own image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth."

He created mankind in his image.  I believe this is the spirit within us, the divine spark, that makes us different from the animals.  It is a connection to God.  It is why people, even Athiests, are constantly searching for something more, better, solutions, ideas, and beliefs.  We are hardwired to God.  Why?  I'll get to that... for now just understand that His creation was good, and that he created us in His likeness spiritually.  He then gave us "dominion" over the earth.  As God is the ruler of all of creation, man is his caretaker.  We are to take care of his creation, the animals, the land, the water, etc.  He created us to have a relationship with Him, to be caretakers of the creation he loves, and to choose to love Him.  It's the choice that makes the big difference here.  God gave man Free Will to decide if we wish to follow God's way, or our own.  When we choose to go against God, to break that relationship with him, we are in a state of sin.  Sin is simply anything that comes between man and God.  Why would God allow sin?  He does it so that we might choose to love Him.  If there is no free will, then we would simply be slaves and automatons doing everything he required, but without joy, knowledge, bliss, or most importantly love.  You cannot force love.  Love is a choice we make, an acceptance of our feelings, a reaction to others.

Remember that hardwiring I spoke of earlier?  This is why we have it, so that we can know divine love and mercy and the free will allows us the right to choose to love in return.  God wants a personal relationship with every one of us.  Yes, I agree there are some people who you and I would have a difficult time having any sort of relationship with, but God loves them unequivicably, and He loves them as much as he loves any one else!  

So to summarize:  We are created in the image of God, given a divine connection within us, and are to be the caretakers for the good and wonderful universe God created.  He gave us free will to decide if we would love and accept Him, or if we would decide to live in Sin (apart from God), because he wants us to choose to have a personal relationship with Him.  That's divine love.  Remember the old adage "if you love something, set it free, if it comes back it's yours." I think that's a great summary for this essay.  Got that?  

Why are we here?  To love God, to love one another, and to be caretakers of His creation.

What is our purpose?  To have a personal relationship with God. (More on this and how God seeks us later).  

Love to all, remember those who are suffering, in prison, in pain, rejected, and lonely.  Be Christ for someone today.  

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be approved by me, due to spammanaters, but even if you disagree with me, I'll post your comment.

Thanks and God Bless